How can you help sea turtles?
- Give up unsustainable seafood.
- If you don't know where it comes from and how it was caught, then don't eat it. Simple, right?
- Shrimp, for example, often are fished in unsustainable ways that drown or harm sea turtles.
- That tuna sushi that you love might have come from a fishing boat using longline fishing, which kills lots of wildlife. And if you're eating bluefin tuna, you might be eating an endangered species!
- Bring your own reusable bag when shopping and say no to plastic bags.
- Bring your own water bottle instead of buying bottled water.
- Skip the straw or bring your own instead of using plastic straws.
- Really? Yes, the less you drive or do other things that generate carbon pollution, the more that you help reduce the problem of climate change, which is a serious threat to our oceans and sea turtles.
- As an alternative, relax on public transportation, walk, or enjoy a fun bike ride to your destination.
- If you're lucky enough to see a sea turtle in the wild, then don't bother it. Just enjoy it from a distance and let it enjoy its day.
Mahalo Nui Loa from Honu.Org